1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will his voice "change"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by waypastdawn, Jun 24, 2007.

1. waypastdawn

waypastdawn New Egg

Apr 25, 2007
    I have a beautiful Rhode Island Red Roo, he have began crowing and it sounds like he has a kazoo stuck in his throat, is he gearing up for loader mornings? I have to give a new home when the crowing starts bothering the neighbors.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Dawn

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yep, it will change, LOL. That party horn sound cracks me up every time I hear it.

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I got a kick out of the descriptions, Kazoo and Party Horn are so appropriate for my Balew, ( Blue Orp) He still sounds just like a Party Horn. He is so big that it make me laugh every morning. One would expect a nice hearty crow, not a little honk.

4. speckledhen

Jaynie, my Blue Orp, Suede, still has the weirdest crow! It's very baritone, with four syllables, but is indescribable, LOL. I wish I could record it and put a Wav file on so everyone could get a laugh out of it.

5. waypastdawn

waypastdawn New Egg

Apr 25, 2007
    so are you giving me hope that he will not become a problem? He is barely louder than some of the native birds in the mornings. I really like him and his 3 females wil miss him if I have to get him a new home or worse yet, a stew pot.
    Dawn

6. speckledhen

Gee, I hate to tell you, but they do get more volume as they perfect their crow. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings! I have three crowing roosters, if you dont count the 9 week old cockerels who are starting to crow. I like to hear them every morning.

7. waypastdawn

waypastdawn New Egg

Apr 25, 2007
    will it help to keep him inside till later? maybe not make the neighbors so mad( not that it matters so much actually all their darn dogs bark why cant my roo crow?) I put the screen back onthe window so that can not let themsleves out so early.
    Dawn

8. speckledhen

It will help some, but with coop windows open, the sound will carry more. I agree, the dang dogs bark all night, but the roosters usually only crow in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by