Will Hydrated Lime be OK to use to help control smell??

coolchange

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 26, 2007
I have a 10x20 chicken run and it seem to be smeeling. I have cleaned it but within a couple days it smells again mostly in the afternoon. I was told to use Hydrated lime just to throw it all over the ground and it will help with the smell. I boiught a bag today and was reading the warning label abount not to get it in your eyes etc. and it concerned me. Is this stuff safe to use with my chickens? Or is there someting that would be better? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!!

Someone else needs to help here. I know there are two kinds of lime - one is safe for animals and the other can cause burning. I found this out the hard way and have never used lime again out of fear that I'd mix them up again.
sad.png

Hi, you'll need to get garden lime, the kind you mentioned will burn your birds feet from what I remember.
old.gif
I use garden lime from Wal Mart.
Make sure you mix it in the soil good.
Miriam

Last edited:
How many chickens do you have in that run? Mine is a bit smaller, 12 x 8, and I'm wondering if it might be a problem I'll have to deal with at some point. I only have 5 Doms.

Yep, the garden lime ( calcium carbonite ) is the correct lime to use, it won't burn the birds feet, it is simply crushed limestone. If they eat some that is ok also.

bigzio

I have a dog kennel which is 130' long and have used garden lime for years to control the kennel smell. It does a great job, is safe for the dogs and will also kill certain types of parasite eggs. I never even thought of using it in my chicken yards!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom