1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will Hydrated Lime be OK to use to help control smell??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by coolchange, Jul 30, 2007.

1. coolchange

coolchange Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    I have a 10x20 chicken run and it seem to be smeeling. I have cleaned it but within a couple days it smells again mostly in the afternoon. I was told to use Hydrated lime just to throw it all over the ground and it will help with the smell. I boiught a bag today and was reading the warning label abount not to get it in your eyes etc. and it concerned me. Is this stuff safe to use with my chickens? Or is there someting that would be better? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!!

2. Sharona

Sharona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2007
    Illinois
    Someone else needs to help here. I know there are two kinds of lime - one is safe for animals and the other can cause burning. I found this out the hard way and have never used lime again out of fear that I'd mix them up again. [​IMG]

3. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi, you'll need to get garden lime, the kind you mentioned will burn your birds feet from what I remember. [​IMG] I use garden lime from Wal Mart.
    Make sure you mix it in the soil good.
    Miriam

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  4. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    How many chickens do you have in that run? Mine is a bit smaller, 12 x 8, and I'm wondering if it might be a problem I'll have to deal with at some point. I only have 5 Doms.

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, the garden lime ( calcium carbonite ) is the correct lime to use, it won't burn the birds feet, it is simply crushed limestone. If they eat some that is ok also.

bigzio

6. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I have a dog kennel which is 130' long and have used garden lime for years to control the kennel smell. It does a great job, is safe for the dogs and will also kill certain types of parasite eggs. I never even thought of using it in my chicken yards! [​IMG]

7. coolchange

coolchange Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    wolfpacker I have 13 pellets in the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by