Will I be able to get my chicks to sit still for Easter pics?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hyzenthlay, Mar 25, 2009.

1. hyzenthlay

hyzenthlay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    SW PA
    Ok, silly question, I know, so indulge me if you will. But I'm getting my first chicks ever right before Easter, and I've been having these daydreams about taking pics of them with my 7 month old daughter and my two angora rabbits. I mean, would those not be the most awesome Easter pics ever!?!? lol [​IMG] Well, I guess it would be even better if I had a couple lambs, too, but we're not zoned for that here in the city. [​IMG] But they way I've heard some people talk about their chicks being scared and running from your hands, etc., it makes me think that I'm not going to be able to pull this plan off, and my dreams will be crushed. What do you think?

P.S. Can you tell I'm just a little excited about my first chickies??? [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Chicks? yes you can. They only run around like crazy when they see The Big Scary Hand. After that they tend to snuggle.

3. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    It depends. I have had some chicks that will just sit there when I place them in my little studio and I can take a ton of pics. I have others that just run around afraid of the camera that won't sit still for even a moment. I never force a chick to do anything it doesn't want to do.

4. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    you would be way better off just using stuffed bunnies and chicks..last summer i tried taking pictures of all my then chicks lined up and it was next to impossible, and i finally gave up.

5. hyzenthlay

Feb 26, 2009
    SW PA
    Hm, sounds like mileage may vary. Well, that gives me some hope to keep daydreaming at least, lol. At least my daughter isn't crawling yet, so I can count on her to mostly stay put, and the bunnies get kind of freaked out in new situations and sit very still, so they should cooperate fairly well. If the chicks react the same way, I'll be all set--I'm getting 3, so maybe I'll get lucky with at least one of them being a good little model.

6. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    I tried to do easter portraits last year with chicks.. yeah right.. that was fun!

Poo all over my backdrops and not a chick in one single shot.... Unless my daughter was holding one.. then POOP on her clothes, lol

SOO we then went and got bunnies.. The photos turned out, but bunnies are hard too because they claw you if you don't hold them right!

Good luck and patience :}

7. hyzenthlay

Feb 26, 2009
    SW PA
    Yeah, this may just be one of those things that is better in theory than in practice, lol. I'm going to have to figure out how to set all the animals close enough to her that it looks ok, but that she isn't grabbing at them. I'm thinking I could put the chicks and bunnies in little easter baskets on either side of her--that might protect them some from her hands--that, and having a photo assistant (DH) who is hovering over to police and position the whole gang. I'm sure he's going to be thrilled to be assigned this task. [​IMG][​IMG]

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have been trying for a long time to get that perfect shot. A lot of BYC members have awesome pics.

9. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Make sure they dont poopie on your daughters pretty Easter dress! I tried to get my two year old son to pose with a fake chick and he wouldnt even do that for more than 20 seconds. Good luck! Make sure you post your pictures. Im into photography and graphic design so I cant wait to see them!!

10. hyzenthlay

Feb 26, 2009
    SW PA
    Good point, LilDucky--I'll try to keep them away from her dress! Well, we'll see how this goes next week after the chicks arrive. I'll be sure to post pictures of my efforts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by