Will I be putting these Chicks lifes at risk?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken Charlotte, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Hello Backyardchickens!

I have a important question, I have a plan that I need to know is safe. I have a chicken that is like always going broody! She has hatched chicks before BUT, I am buying some chicks if she does not go broody soon, it is funny though, if I put eggs in the nest and sit her on the she will sit on them and make broody sounds [​IMG] So I thought if I buy some chicks I could put them under her and she would adopt them! (she would sit on the eggs and think they just hatched)

She would not hurt a fly and did not hurt the chicks she hatched, so am I safe with this plan?

2. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    I have read that sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...maybe someone with experience doing that can help. Interested to see what others say....[​IMG]

3. ky chicks

ky chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    I wouldn't do it unless she is staying on the nest and is truly broody. I did give chicks to a hen who had been broody for a few weeks, and she did great!

4. SebrightLuver

SebrightLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have a sebright hen who is a great mother to HER chicks, but put any other chicks with her and she'd kill them right away. Doesn't matter if they are the same breed and look exactly the same as her own chicks. They do know that they aren't their own chicks and depending on the hen, she might or might not accept them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by