Will I get egg year round in central Vermont?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MeghanChickLady, Oct 26, 2014.

1. MeghanChickLady

MeghanChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2014
    Am I going to get eggs year round in central Vermont, even in winter with silkies and rhode island whites?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is highly unlikely that you will get eggs year round from the same birds. Almost all hens slow down or cease laying in wintertime. The first year, many hens do lay through the winter. But, after that, they'll usually spend the winter molting, or not laying because of shortened daylight hours. Now, this could be different if you provide light in the coop during winter. Even with that, I wouldn't expect those breeds to lay all through the winter, especially not the Silkies.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    There are a couple of tricks to having year round egg supply.

First freeze extra eggs for baking or scrabled egg dishes, when you have extra. My egg production in SD slows down in the winter, as I don't add artificial light, however, I generally get a few, enough for our eating needs. In the summer, I get high production, so by freezing them, I use those for baking and cooking for the large crew when everyone is home. Keeps me from running out of eggs.

Multiple age flock, young first year birds tend to lay smaller eggs, but do lay through the first winter, IF they are laying before winter. Last year, I had late chicks in June, and they did not start till January, but from then on laid well.

Adding artificial light, but only do so if your coop is properly wired. Makeshift wiring causes lots of coop fires, really not worth a few extra eggs.

Hope this helps.

Mrs K

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  4. MeghanChickLady

MeghanChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2014
    Thanks guys! Great advice! Ill be following it and I had no idea that you could freeze eggs! I`ll definitely try--Meghan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by