Will I get eggs this year since the days are shortening?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Trish1974, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Trish1974

Trish1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    Yes, I am a typical pullet owner that is getting very impatient and anxiously awaiting that first egg from my 5 month old pullets. However, the days are getting shorter at a rapid rate and I'm wondering even if they reach the maturity they need to lay will the lack of daylight prevent them from laying? We have about 12 1/2 hours of daylight now and I have read they need 14 hours to lay. I am not worried about it enough to add supplemental lighting, I'm just curious what nature will do.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

They may lay a bit late, but they will certainly lay before spring. I'd guess some time around October, November, maybe December, you'll see some eggs.

3. Trish1974

Trish1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    Thank you QueenMisha!

4. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    If they were my girls I would put a light in the coop to turn on at 4am off at 9am, if your coop has windows and you can comfortably read inside without the light. Otherwise leave a light on from 4am till sunset. Let them go to roost at sunset. Use a 40 watt equivalent led. It will cost about $3.36 for electricity at .11ยข per kilowatt, for 12 hours a day, for 365 days. I get mine at Wal-Mart for about $2.00. Look for DAYLIGHT on the box. Do not use compact florescent. The flickering bothers chickens. GC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by