1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will I get EGGS this year?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ILoveJoe, Sep 9, 2008.

1. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    I got 21 day old chicks on the 25th of June *whip out calculator* tap-tap-tippity-tap...okay by my calculations [​IMG] my chickens will reach laying age at the end of November! :eek:

Cold weather, short days....is there ANY chance I can get eggs this year or not?

[​IMG]

Is there a molt this Fall that I'll need to worry about?

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I absolutely LOVE that pic!!! I want a white EE (if I'm not mistaken, that's what I think she is) so bad! Anyways, yes, there is a very good chance that you will end up getting eggs this year, as long as you keep them on a 14-16 hour day. I would get a light rigged up ASAP. When my chicks were done with the brooder light and old enough to not need heat, I immediately started them on their daylight schedule, even though it was summertime. So once they started having a 'night' (no light whatsoever) that's when I rigged up my timer light. I wanted to make sure they had enough light from the get-go, and also get them used to the light going on and off....

3. ILoveJoe

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:That is a Light Brahma and possibly a rooster. [​IMG]

A light should also help keep them warm in the cold. Does having a light on make the roosters crow more?

4. ILoveJoe

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    I just read in the Storeys Guide to Raising Chickens the part about adding lights.

a) If I do NOT add lights, will my chickens still lay?

b) Will light cause the roosters to fight?

c) Do chickens this young go through the molt when the weather changes? I can't find that info in the book at all.

d) I read that light makes the pullets mature faster, since these are basically pets is that safe for them?

Thanks in advance for any help for my questions.

5. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    a) If I do NOT add lights, will my chickens still lay?

Depends on the breed. I would think most cold weather chickens will give you something. Some breeds are known for winter laying.

b) Will light cause the roosters to fight?

Do they need an excuse? [​IMG]

c) Do chickens this young go through the molt when the weather changes? I can't find that info in the book at all.

I wouldn't think so.

d) I read that light makes the pullets mature faster, since these are basically pets is that safe for them?

If chicks have light they will eat more. Since they are small, they can't eat as much at any one time as an adult chicken. Therefore, they eat many smaller meals and if they do that 24/7 they grow faster.

Pullets will lay more with light. I don't know if that will reduce their lifespan. But it will reduce the length of time they lay eggs. Basically, a chicken is born with all its eggs. You can use light to get most them in the first two years, or not use light and spread those eggs over more years.​

6. camjac

camjac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    ILoveJoe, Do you have any feathers in your coop now? I got my chicks the same time as you (2 black australorps, 2 EE, and 1 light brahma) and I am finding feathers everywhere. And not just the little feathers but the big wing and tail feathers, especially from my EE's. I can't believe they are already molting, if that's what it is, because they just grew all of these nice feathers!

7. ILoveJoe

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:YES!
    All kinds of feather, from the girls and from Hoss the rooster who seems to be losing his tail feathers everywhere.
    I apparantly have several young roosters instead of pullets and so far *fingers crossed* all of them are getting along with Hoss. I am kinda afraid the lights will cause the boys to notice each other while they are all still locked up in the same coop. "You LOOKING AT ME?!" Kinda guy stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by