Will I have deformed chicks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 14 chickens & counting, Feb 7, 2011.

1. 14 chickens & counting

14 chickens & counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    Just wondering (because I am a new chicken owner, and can't find any reading on this)........I have my first set of chicks coming in a few days and they are coming from a flock of 7 with 1 of those being my rooster....I am already thinking of what I am going to do with the babies when they get older. If I eventually put these hens in with their mothers and their daddy starts mating with them..Can I still have baby chicks without worrying about deformities? [​IMG] Hopefully I explained that right. Sorry if I confused anyone.... [​IMG]

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    line breeding, or breeding father-daughter, mother-son, brother -sister is ok.

It works different than dogs or people

no worries

3. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    14 chickens & counting :

Just wondering (because I am a new chicken owner, and can't find any reading on this)........I have my first set of chicks coming in a few days and they are coming from a flock of 7 with 1 of those being my rooster....I am already thinking of what I am going to do with the babies when they get older. If I eventually put these hens in with their mothers and their daddy starts mating with them..Can I still have baby chicks without worrying about deformities? [​IMG] Hopefully I explained that right. Sorry if I confused anyone.... [​IMG]

Thanks for asking this....I have been wondering the same thing, cuz I don't want more than one Roo in my life.​

4. 14 chickens & counting

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    Quote:Thanks for asking this....I have been wondering the same thing, cuz I don't want more than one Roo in my life.

Are you from Albany, NY or GA? Good to see more newbies on here!

5. 14 chickens & counting

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    Quote:And I was a worrying!!!! [​IMG] Couldn't imagine the problems this could pose! Though I hadn't seen any posts recently, so I thought maybe it wasn't that big of a deal. Thanks.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Usually you have to have inbred for more than a few generations for there to be problems. However, do you know anything about the genetic diversity of the birds you're starting with? If they're inbred already, you might see problems sooner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by