WILL I HAVE TO GET RID OF MY ROO?

paddling_pekins

Chirping
Jun 3, 2019
Hi
My four month old rooster wakes up at 530 every morning. This wouldn't be an issue except I live in the middle of a city with very close neighbours. I know them complaining is inevitable but no one wants a hybrid, completely random cockerel although he is very sweet and pretty. I only have because I rescued him from being eaten in the first place but I can't stand the thought of him being killed, I love him very much! My parent are now very angry with me so any help is appreciated!

Most of the people that use FB groups and CL are professional unemployed chicken peddlers. They stay on there and swoop every post within five minutes. You post a rooster, and they just lost theirs and need one, you post needing a rooster, and they've got one for you. When they get more birds than they have room and feed for , and run out of pet buyers, they always have a meat buyer to fall back on. Have watched it happen on such groups, having been facebook friends with people I met at poultry swaps. They will contact you within minutes, their rooster just died helping a little old lady cross a street, and they need one bad, willing to meet. That bird will be in a cage with some others at a swap on Saturday morning, and if nobody picks him, the cage will be emptied at the meat buyer's truck.

You have no reasonable expectation that the bird will not be eaten unless you keep him yourself. You have several options. You could choose the rooster, shunning the rest of society, possibly moving to a forest and living in seclusion. You could take chances on CL or FB, knowing full well that his fate is beyond your control at that point. You could provide him with a humane death and consume his flesh yourself, so that his life was not wasted. You could also refrain from "rescuing" animals that are commonly considered food animals until you have infrastructure in place to provide care and housing for those animals for the entirety of their lives.

Chopping his head off and serving him for dinner would be far more humane than any of the anti-crow contraptions. There have been many horror stories associated with them. They work, until they don't work, restricting air and blood flow causing slow death or infection. If it makes them not crow, it's too tight to be humane.

Hi
My four month old rooster wakes up at 530 every morning. This wouldn't be an issue except I live in the middle of a city with very close neighbours. I know them complaining is inevitable but no one wants a hybrid, completely random cockerel although he is very sweet and pretty. I only have because I rescued him from being eaten in the first place but I can't stand the thought of him being killed, I love him very much! My parent are now very angry with me so any help is appreciated!
People do take in mixed breed friendly cockerels. It does take time. I would advertise him on CL and join local FB Poultry groups and post him there too. There are plenty of people looking for a friendly cockerel for their flock. They are not all interested in breeding. Good luck finding him a new home.

Chopping his head off and serving him for dinner would be far more humane than any of the anti-crow contraptions. There have been many horror stories associated with them. They work, until they don't work, restricting air and blood flow causing slow death or infection. If it makes them not crow, it's too tight to be humane.
Agreed. And in case someone new to chickens or to BYC doesn't know, the "anti-crow contraptions" referred to by this commentator are the anti-crow collars mentioned earlier. Very cruel.

To the people pushing vegan, that is your choice but you do not need to force your views on others so please remember that and don't get so pushy about it. We respect your choice please respect others.[/QUOTE]

I for sure was not and did not intend to push anything. I am sorry if what I said was coming off as such. I was trying to say we as people are too far from our food source now. Anyone whom eats meat (including myself) should process at least once. It brings a new respect and gratitude for animals. We cull our food... humbling experience EVERY time. :)

Agreeed. I hate vegan they are actully killing animals rlly.
If you don’t eat animals (chicken ect) there will way to many birds to keep a hold of and predators will eat them.
They will get stronger and the population will grow bigger!
And soon they will be no birds or prey left for us to eat and we will starve if they is no protine

This is not true at all. I'd recommend that you do a little more research on this particular topic.

As for protein, most vegan diets actually have more protein than normal diets.

As harsh as this may sound, you really need to get rid of the rooster as soon as possible. It is not fair to your parents or neighbors or even the rooster to keep him in such close quarters. I understand your motivation for taking him in, but keeping him is unrealistic. Try surrendering him to a local animal shelter. Good luck.

I totally get that people love their animals.. but they were and are meant to make food and be food. I become afraid that society is wanting to eat meat but not allow it to be processed. How long before food animal culling becomes animal cruelty. I just culled 2 because I had two choices. He lived confined because I already had a rooster ( and I waste feed).. or he serve a purpose and feed the family.

Back
Top Bottom