Will I hurt him!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChucktheChick, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Hey guys..... My rooster is very aggressive and likes to attack me whenever I walk in the coop. I really want to trim his spurs but I don't want to hurt him....... I have been looking online to see if I can do this; all the sites say it will bleed a lot. I just wanted to see how you chicken experts do it, so I can do it easily without very much blood or pain. Thank you all.

2. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Sorry no one answered...aggressive sucks... My mom got spurred by a rooster and 40 years later still has the scar!

Did you find what you need to do it?

I worked on my hen's feet by puttin them on their backs with a towel over their faces...they seem to go unconscious, and not react to pain... (saw that tip here in BYC)

Hope things turned out ok!

3. cinch920

cinch920 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Central Nebraska
    Personally, if a rooster is aggressive, I get rid of him asap. No need to have a rooster around if you have to warn people to stay away from him. As for trimming his spurs, yes you can do that. There can be blood if you trim too low. I would just trim off a little bit at a time until you feel its enough. Good luck to you!! =]

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

There are various ways trimming or removing spurs, some do cause bleeding. We just trim out roosters spurs on a regular basis. We cut them back and them file them smooth, no bleeding or pain caused at all.

5. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    I twist the spurs off my roo after moistening them with olive oil. I just use pliers and twist back and forth a couple of times until it gives. It leaves a red small inner part of the spur. It was moist with blood but did not drip. It was so easy!, the rooster did not even flinch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by