1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will I hurt him!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChucktheChick, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Hey guys..... My rooster is very aggressive and likes to attack me whenever I walk in the coop. I really want to trim his spurs but I don't want to hurt him....... I have been looking online to see if I can do this; all the sites say it will bleed a lot. I just wanted to see how you chicken experts do it, so I can do it easily without very much blood or pain. Thank you all.

2. da417

da417 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2012
    I used a dremmel saw on my rooster but I only cut them because they had grown so long they were curling up and he was having trouble walking. I did not cut them off completely, I only trinmmed them way down. There was no blood or anything, although I did clean them well prior to cutting, after cutting, and used antibiotic ointment and kept an eye on them for a few days.

3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    He will still be aggressive with or without spurs. I have read and seen info using a hot potato but, seems like it would be very painful for the bird. Why don't you retrain him by making him understand you are the boss or get rid of him for a nicer one?

4. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Well I will never get rid of the one I have now..... but how can you teach him your boss and not to attack? I just dont want my kids getting hurt or even my hens if they go in the coop. They are not to long; just sharp only about 3/4 in. Long. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

5. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

First, there is no need to cut spurs. They twist off relatively easily. Hold him under your arm, hold his foot with one hand and grasp his spur with the other and give it a good twist. There will be bleeding, but it will stop. You can use some sugar if you are disturbed by the bleeding, it is a natural styptic agent.

Second. An aggressive rooster can sometimes be calmed by being picked up and carried around. This way you show him that you are the boss but you are not giving him something to fight against. My rooster attacks everyone but me. Correction, he attacks me occasionally when I get between him and his favorite hen. When he does this, I pick him up and carry him under my arm as I complete my chores. I only put him down when he has ceased struggling for several minutes. My guy isn't a really bad rooster, so this usually does it for about a week, but if you put him down and he attacks again, pick him up again. Follow through and be CONSISTENT, just as if Cesar were watching over your shoulder. Don't just pick him up sometimes when he attacks, do it every single time he attacks and hold him for as long as it takes him to calm down.

6. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    thank you! He rarely attacks me, but everyone complains about him attacking them...... I will carry him like u said!!! I am so greatful for your reply! He is very protective of his hens. Once u pick him up he is fine, just on the ground he is fiesty........ naughty Smokey

7. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

He is just reacting to a perceived threat against his girls. You can't blame him for that. Are you gonna try the twisting, believe me, it works and then you have a really cool rooster spur that you can (clean really well) shellaq and give to your "way too cool to be anything but goth" nephew or something to make into a necklace. (I used to be goth, so I know these things)

8. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Well...... does it hurt him? And will the spur be completely gone? I just dont want him to be In Pain.

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I use a hack saw cutting about 1 inch from base. Bleeding usually minimal and operation is quick. Must be repeated every couple of years. Aggression is not a problem but such birds are very difficult to handle around legs with getting scratched.

10. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Ive never heard of a hack saw.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by