1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will I Intervene A Stuck Chick? You Betcha!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by _Randall_, Jul 19, 2011.

1. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    You've read the many stories of non-survivors (or lived, but just wasn't right) that were victims of "freeing" them from being stuck in the shell, right? Not trying to be the controversial expert here, but I just free'd another of a few stuck ones of weekly hatchings by getting tweezers and ripping the top back (after he's fully zipped, of course). Had at least 5 in the past 3 hatches that were stuck in the shell (with ~80%+ humidity, I might add), and........SHAZAM.......out they pop. A little weak for a bit, but they have bounced back. Survivors are growing like a fertilized weed. Work quick.........open door, peel the top off/back, drop a warm water drop on him with water from the water pan (I use a medicine dropper), and close the door...Pronto! I can't help it. It's no different than a child sreamin' in a burning house......I'm goin' in for RESCUE, no matter what the outcome is! Some say you're putting the "pipped" chicks in jeapordy! I say if there's no zipping at the moment, and Pedro back there in the back zipped a few hours ago, and can't get out......pop the top "QUICKLY", and give him a chance. I waited one "Pedro" out for almost 24 hours that was stuck one night at bedtime......peeled the lid back, got up the next mornin', and Pedro was bouncin' runnin' around like the rest of'em. Remember, everybody does everything just a lil' different ... I'm not saying it's someting everybody shoud try............I'm just givin' my testimony of saving a few precious lives.... [​IMG]

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I've been assisting hatches for a very very long time.. and I will continue to do so.. I just can't bear to have the attitude of "letting nature take it's course" and I've saved a lot of healthy chicks by going in and doing what needed to be done (yes.. I am head headed and stubborn)...

now assisting a hatch isn't for everyone.. and for those who choose not to.. well.. that's up to them.. it's their eggs and their chicks.. but for me I will do what I feel needs to be done to save that little fuzzy butt

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I do assist them sometimes, but it depends on the circumstances. I've been having lots of stuck chicks this year due to the crazy weather, so I'll help just about all of them at this point.

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I use to assist, but I guess my luck just isn't there. I have had bad experiences, and end feeling bad either way. But, I feel worse if I assist and the chick isn't right or dies shortly after. So, I just stopped.

But, I think it's great when people help them out and have wonderful stories to share.

5. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Well, the reason I caution against busting them out is because newbies tend to miscount the days, and bust out perfectly hatch-able chicks that will hatch on their own, if given the time. Seasoned vets will bust them out or not based on their assessment, but newbies will bust them out because they think they are 6 hours late, but really they need an extra day or two to hatch on their own. Patience is a VIRTUE!

6. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    +1, Just like Randall has described. A very high percentage of my "helped" chicks have been fine in a few hrs....Of course, some were not. Bill

Edit to add: like Joe points out, theres a fine line between "helping" and "busting them out" too....

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  7. Chikndinner

Chikndinner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    I have learned to wait at least 36 hours after pip before I even think of assisting. However if the chick has started zipping and stalls out for too long then I am going to investigate. I have killed a few in my learning process but I have saved more and yes I have learned patience. I try to leave the house in the critical hours of hatching:cool:

8. ravenzero

ravenzero Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Vancouver WA
    I tried to assist, forgot to put her in a warm place while I did it, she died [​IMG]

She was my only hatch out of 6 [​IMG]

9. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Yep, I agree with this. My bator's door is full lexan, so I'm able to keep close watch on those with trouble getting out. What I notice (like the the other day) is the shell is "un"zipping good, but the membrane is getting poked through here and there, but not all the way around. After longer than 24 hours, its beak was sticking out of the slightly ripped membrane justa peepin', and had been that way during the 24+ hours I waited. He was getting very weak.........so..........in I went, popped the top off, and like I mentioned earlier, was just bouncing around like the rest of the bunch the next morning. You can usually tell after 24 hours if no progress is being made. If it looks like it is at a stand-still, I will go right on in there and make a very quick attempt to open it up so at least that part is done. HOWEVER, like it's been said, somtimes they are really stuck and they are too far gone to save. But, at least I feel I have saved some.

10. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Hey Randall,
    You still on track to hatch 500 this year? Bill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by