Will I Need Larger Grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 3KillerBs, Jul 28, 2013.

1. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    I live in the NC Sandhills where the ground is nearly-pure, fine, white, quartz sand just like you'd find in a beach dune (during the Miocene this was prime oceanfront). From what I read, this will meet their need for chick grit nicely as they scratch around.

But as they grow (currently almost 6 weeks), will I need to purchase larger grit? There are no pebbles, rocks, gravel, etc. here other than in people's driveways.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    No, you don’t need to purchase anything. They’ll find bigger chunks that you would think possible. Plus, they’ll just eat more if they need it. All grit gets ground down in size to fine sand and then passes through their system. Yours will just start out further along that ground down condition.

Chickens have been finding their own grit in conditions much worse than yours for thousands of years. There is no reason for you to worry about that.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, it sounds like you're naturally set for grit!

4. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    Thank you. I was wondering if the lack of larger pieces would be a problem when they were older. Glad to know that grit is something I don't need to worry about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by