Will Indian runner ducks pick on my smaller cals?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Squirtchy2009, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    I have been offered 4 one fear old male indian runners, if i put them in with my 2 male and 2 female call ducks, would they fight or not get along?
    [​IMG]

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Do you mean "4 one year old"? Sorry--just want to make sure I understand you.

And yes, they would probably pick on your females, not because of the size necessarily but because of the ratio. Drakes are notorious for being oversexed, and they will damage a hen by over-mating her if there are not enough females. A ratio of six males to 2 females is backwards--you would want at least three females for each male in order to reduce the chances of problems.

Now, if you could have a separate enclosure, you could run a bachelor flock--drakes will sometimes get along fine with each other if there are NO females to fight over.

3. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    Yeah you undersrood me right [​IMG]

Typical men always going for the younger, smaller girls lol, shame now i have to re-think my plans hmmmm...

Is there anyway i could get around this problem without buying some more females or seperating them? seems such a shame to miss out on some lovely ducks at such a small price (£7.00 each) woman is moving house and cant have them in her new one [​IMG]

4. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    No, I don't think you could do anything, unless you wanted to fix your drakes. :hmm;

Which I don't even know if that's possible. Or if it would correct the problem.

Besides, if you put in a much larger drake with smaller females, the females' rear might get yanked out of it's proper place. [​IMG]

EW!

Happened to two of my ducks. [​IMG]
    But they did make a full recovery after weeks of total separation from the rest of the flock.

And they didn't like it.

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm afraid not. I wish I could remember who said it originally, but a quote I like is this definition of "Bargain": Something I don't need at a price I can't resist. [​IMG]

6. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Wow, so true. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by