1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will it be big enough?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Oct 25, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I am building a new, 16 X 16 duck pen for the ducks, but I am worried that they will mess it up fast! I will have 12 ducks. All the hens will go in one space, and the drake in another so hens dont have stres.on them at night when its bedtime. I think I will have 4 drakes, and 8 hens. Is 16 X 16 big enough for 8 hens over night? And is 7 X 8 big enough for 4 maybe 5 drakes over night? They all free range.during the day, but at night get locked up tight. Tell me if I need to make the pens bigger.... Thanks!

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:That is more then enough space, and you shouldn't need to seperate them for the night. The males won't be breeding because its dark.

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Ok,.thanks chickiebooboo

4. jaycee

jaycee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    I agree that its plenty large enough for overnight... I have 8 Khaki Campbell hens and they sleep in a stall in the barn that is 12 X 8... they seem to have plenty of room, the only issue is the mess they make with the water...

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Ok, and I have differnt breeds of ducks, so I want to keep the drakes and ducks seprete anyway...

6. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:Ok, and I have differnt breeds of ducks, so I want to keep the drakes and ducks seprete anyway...

Are you seperating them only at night, or in the day aswell? If they are all free-ranging during the day then locking them up seperatly overnight isn't going to make a difference.

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN

Are you seperating them only at night, or in the day aswell? If they are all free-ranging during the day then locking them up seperatly overnight isn't going to make a difference.

True, but will it help with makeing less of a mess at all?

8. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:Are you seperating them only at night, or in the day aswell? If they are all free-ranging during the day then locking them up seperatly overnight isn't going to make a difference.

True, but will it help with makeing less of a mess at all?

No, not really. It will only give you two pens to clean out instead of one, not to mention to extra work of trying to seperate them every night.

9. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:True, but will it help with makeing less of a mess at all?

No, not really. It will only give you two pens to clean out instead of one, not to mention to extra work of trying to seperate them every night.

Yeah, ok so one night time pen for all of them. I still need to make another breeding pen since I have three differnt breeds. [​IMG]

10. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:No, not really. It will only give you two pens to clean out instead of one, not to mention to extra work of trying to seperate them every night.

Yeah, ok so one night time pen for all of them. I still need to make another breeding pen since I have three differnt breeds. [​IMG]

Just curious what you mean by [​IMG]

To me it indicates somebody being annoyed, are you sure you want to take on the responsibility of breeding three different breeds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by