1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will it hatch??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by carlos2468, Mar 23, 2016.

1. carlos2468

carlos2468 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2016
    So guys i just got this new hen i been having them for maybe 5 days and i been watching her lay her eggs and she wouldnt sit on them so i knew right away that she wasnt broody. So about day 2 she has been acting very weird she is ussally active but now she just sits down all day long. So this gave me idea. So once one of my hens layed an egg ( it is not her egg)i got the egg and the hen and put her on top of it and she stayed on it. Do you guys think she will stay on top of it??

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Sounds like your hen went broody.
    A few questions.
    What breed is your broody hen. (she may be only sick or lazy and not broody at this point)
    Certain breeds are more broody prone than others.
    Are your eggs fertile??? Have to ask.
    WISHING YOU BEST and [​IMG]

3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Good questions from cavemanrich.

In my experience, it takes a while before a hen becomes 100% committed to sitting. I usually leave my broody (I only have one broody that i keep for the sole purpose of sitting) until she has spent two days (and more importantly, nights) on the nest before giving her eggs to set. Just thought i would share that.

I'd suggest that you accumulate a few eggs and set them at the same time under her, rather than one. If she is 100% broody, she should sit without any eggs in the nest.

All the best
    CT

4. carlos2468

carlos2468 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2016
    its a red sexlink but when i pick her up the egg was cold why??

5. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by