Will it hurt a healthy pullet to drink water with an antibiotic in it?

jansus09

Chirping
5 Years
May 5, 2015
Columbiana, AL
We have a chicken 8 weeks old isolated with a sore foot that feels hot and is swollen on the ball of her foot. We were soaking it in Epson salts a few times a day. We started her on Corid 9.6% in her drinking water. 1/4 teaspoon in a quart of water.This is the second day and she is still limping but seems to move around a lot more and be more alert. We are going to continue her treatment for 5 days.My question is would it hurt a healthy chicken to be in the enclosure with her and drink that water? Her best friend wants to be with her and she wants to be out with the flock. There are only 7 of them and they always stick together.

Corid or amprollium is the treatment for coccidiosis, and is not an antibiotic, but a thiamine blocker. If none have symptoms of cocci, I would stop it. She could have injured the foot or she may have the beginnings of bumblefoot or pododermatitis. Are any of her joints in the foot or leg swollen? Can you take a picture of the foot pad?

Corid or amprollium is the treatment for coccidiosis, and is not an antibiotic, but a thiamine blocker. If none have symptoms of cocci, I would stop it. She could have injured the foot or she may have the beginnings of bumblefoot or pododermatitis. Are any of her joints in the foot or leg swollen? Can you take a picture of the foot pad?

x2

I have some pictures but they're not very clear. I'll take some better ones in the morning. Thanks for your response. We were told at a local feed store that this was the best antibiotic for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom