Will it hurt to run a fan?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by melissathib, Jan 17, 2017.

1. melissathib

melissathib Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2016
    DeRidder, Louisiana
    I have a small fan in my coop and have it turned on low during the day for increased air circulation, since our days are getting into the upper 70s right now. Will it hurt my chickens to leave it on at night with temps in the low-mid 60s? I have 6 Cream Legbar/Bielefelder mix that are approx 2-3 months old, and the others are 10 months to just over a year old, mix of breeds including Black Australorp, RIR, Buff Brahma, and Cream Legbar.

Thanks!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Your birds need ventilation, but not a draft, so it depends if there's air moving where they are roosting, and whether they have the option of where to roost.

3. melissathib

May 21, 2016
    DeRidder, Louisiana
    No, it is hanging from the ceiling and blows toward the "people" door, which is directly across from the roost of the big chickens and above the roost of the little ones. I haven't fully integrated my little ones with the big ones, yet, so there's a plastic mesh wall separating them. The fan is above that, about 6' up.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would hang out where they roost while the fan is running to see if it is drafty. Usually ventilation can be accomplished by two vents at opposite end of the coop. I wouldn't necessarily run a fan until it starts getting above 80 degrees or more in the coop.

5. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I agree with oldhenlikesdogs...in my FL coop, I used to use a box fan but not until it got quite a lot warmer than what you're getting now.

6. melissathib

May 21, 2016
    DeRidder, Louisiana
    OK, thanks! I'll do that!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dos^^

They need to acclimate to the heat....wait until it gets really hot to employ a fan.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by