1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will It Make It?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by morninggloryhatchery, Sep 12, 2009.

1. morninggloryhatchery

morninggloryhatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    Hi! I have a chick that hatched but it can't get on its legs and it's neck is crooked. i can't take pic but his neck is not straight what should i do?
    Any help wanted.

thanks

2. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    How old is it?

3. morninggloryhatchery

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    about 5 hours old.
    It's neck is actually crooked. And it is always on its side and won't get up. From the others i have hatched none have every had a crooked neck

4. insiderart

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    If you think it's truly deformed, probably the most humane thing to do is cull it.

5. morninggloryhatchery

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    how? this would be the first time ever and im kind of an animal lover type

6. insiderart

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Ugh. Well here you have me at a loss, as I've never had to do it personally. I can tell you what I've read. Some snip their heads off with a pair of scissors (sounds bad, but is so quick and very humane). Some say twist their neck. In school when we dissected birds we would just hold them tightly in our hand so the rib cage isn't allowed to expand and they die pretty rapidly that way.

7. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

get him inside a box/tupperware, tighter better, mix baking powder with water in a glass/whatever and put it inside the box/tupperware. no pain at all.

8. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I had one that had a very crooked neck-unable to hold up his head or stand,one eye and slightly crossed beak.I massaged his neck several times over a few hours..it worked he's now a very happy chick named Popeye and thriving.He was able to stand once his neck felt better.
    Of coarse I can't tell if yours is worse than he was.
    Yeh he's a rooster [​IMG]

9. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Quote:Baking soda and water do not have a chemical reaction, other than you can do a very cool liquid solid finger test. Vinegar has the checmical reaction you are looking for. Bubbles and foams rapidly when they are mixed (Co2)

10. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

just test it and you'll find out water can do it, but yes vinegar is better one to mix with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by