will it withstand?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by crankster76, Feb 16, 2012.

1. crankster76

crankster76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Kingston,Tn.
    Im in the process of building a 80x30 fence around the backside of the property for the birds. Its 6 ft tall and made of mostly welded wire. I dug a ditch along the fenceline and run hardware cloth and buried it. Now the problem is will it hold up to coyote? I live in the hills of TN. and the woods are right on the otherside of the fence. I mean within about 3ft. lots of coyote around. had problems last year with them running through the yard.[hopefully not this year]. money is tight and Im hoping this fence will work. all imput is apreciated..

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I would guess that a determined coyote could probably dig under that fence. But it sounds like a pretty good fence.

Are the chickens in this area 24 hours a day or only in the day?

Have you thought about getting a dog and training it not to chase chickens? A dog will keep coyotes away.

3. crankster76

crankster76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Kingston,Tn.
    I got 2 boxers that did not stop them last year. as for the birds, there only going to be in this area during the day. I got 3 10x10 dog kennels divided for each type of bird,and then individual coops attached to that. there either in the coop or the kennel areas at night.

4. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    It sounds pretty secure.

I don't know if a boxer is the best choice for livestock protection. You need a dog that will stay outside with the chickens when they are in that larger fenced area. Coyotes will stay away if they see a large dog.

If you don't want a dog as protection and you aren't sure about your fence, you may want to run a string of electric wire around the fence. That will deter most animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by