will it work?

Gma Jo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
i'm getting new babies soon, and was wondering if i could bring in my very broody hen to see if she will care for them? has any one done this, and what was your success rate?

You don't have to bring her in. It's possible to put them with her where she is.
How long has she been broody and has she been sitting on eggs?

she has been broody for about 2 weeks. she is now getting up long enough to let my other girls lay, and then goes and sets on the eggs. i live in colorado, and right now the low is in the low 20s. will this be an issue?

A broody can keep them warm.
I'd put them under her right at dusk so she won't get off the nest. Then check on them about every 10 minutes to verify they're still under her. Be ready to bring them into a brooder if they won't stay there.
She'll either tuck them in and sit tight or let them wander. Once they realize how comfy it is there, they should stay put.

ETA
Another option is to raise them in a brooder for a couple days so you can feed and water them, give some probiotics and vitamins for a boost. Then put them under her.
The longer you wait, the less likely they will stay under her.

Last edited:
thank you so much for the great advice, sound like a great plan to me.again thank you so much.

If she's truly broody and has been sitting on eggs for a couple of weeks, I'd get the chicks under her right away, at night as PP said. You could feed and water them, keep them warm, then get them under her. If you wait too long, the chicks won't imprint to her. Imprinting is a two way street between parent and young. Also, you want to be sure the nest is in a location that if the chicks get out of it they won't be injured, and will be able to get back in. also, best to segregate mom and babies from the rest of the flock for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom