Will Jane hurt the Chicks?

janesbayou

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 5, 2009
I am going to try to make a long story short...I bought two baby chicks, they were "hens". I reared them as well as any mother would. I took them outside everyday to find bugs. Watched them when they ran around the yard with their find. But as time went on one of them was different. I kept telling my husband, "That one is a rooster!". Unfortunately I was correct and even more unfortunate, where I live you're not allowed a rooster only a max of three hens. So I gave away newly named "Jack" to a feed store owner who has his own chickens outside my city limits. But Jane was now all alone. At first during the day she seemed okay, but by evening she was frantic, no pal. Finally after awhile she settled down and went to sleep. I bought a couple "hens" (I hope) babies, maybe two weeks old the next day. I introduced them easily watching what she may do and of course she gave a peck on the head to one and peck on the back to the other but nothing that was frightening, this was the first day. Today I brought them out again and she was fine all day, but I kept them mostly apart with the chicks under a large clothes hamper with slits so she could see them but not do anything. But the funny part is by nightfall she was hounding me, resting on my book, resting where the chicks were and finally she started making a rack-it at the chicks like it's time to go to sleep let's go, and the chicks were chiming in. When I brought the chicks into the house I could see she was upset, running into and out of the coup looking and calling. Jane is four months, I was thinking of putting a seperater into the coup so she could still be next to them? The chicks were raised without lights because it is and has been really warm, so I am not worried about that. She is all by herself right now but I am still afraid she could possibly hurt the little ones. Does anyone have any suggestions or stories of their own? Thanks

I think it would be a good idea to place them in a separate pen, so that she can be close to them without hurting them. However, if they are only a couple of weeks old, I would think they would still require warmth. It is getting quite cool during the night here in Oklahoma, not sure where you live, but I would watch the weather so they don't get a chill.

If it were me, I would not introduce them to her until they are old enough to defend themselves. She is capable of hurting them badly or even killing them.

What I have done with my girls is to allow the babies into the coop inside a parrot cage. The original residents can get used to them without hurting them. When I feel it's been long enough, I tie the door open, but only enogh so the little ones fit through, (sort of like a creep feeder), that way, they have a place the can go for safety should the bigger ones start picking on them. I have had great results so far (knock on wood...)
Best wishes to you!

I have read stories of chickens hurting or even killing the smaller ones. I don't leave them alone (I have been there outside) or caged together. She is always free to move about around the yard, but she is just staying close to them and not really venturing out into the yard. She is very needy and always needed to be close to Jack, you couldn't seperate them without them freaking out, if one couldn't see the other, lookout for noise. I think I may try a seperation while the weather permits? I find her actions odd towards them I guess. It's difficult to tell how she will react, either favorably or not? I am at a loss, never raised chickens before these. She is silkie/yokahama mix. They are (most likely easter egger), americauna. Thanks for your reply.

borderkelpie, thanks great idea---
big_smile.png

I just want to say thank you to both cammy and borderkelpie. I did a combination of both suggestions. I separated them in the evening, and left them with a place they could run into during the day. Things have turned out great. Especially now that the little ones don't care how big she is, they will have a tug of war with her over bugs
big_smile.png
Today one of the little ones won, she looked confused, like she wasn't sure what to think about that. So thank you both again for your ideas and suggestions!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom