Will keeping the pop door open create a draft in winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ctchopper, Nov 23, 2014.

1. ctchopper

ctchopper Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    Acton, CA
    Hi everyone, We don't have horrible winters here in the high desert. Lows may get into the 20s but usually stay in the 30s, we may get a day or two of light snow. I have a small coop (4 x 4 x 4) which houses 4 hens and we are approaching our first winter. There are small holes at the top of the coop for ventilation and an 18" square window slightly above roost height that I have now blocked off with Styrofoam, which they can't get to. I don't think that's enough ventilation so was wondering if leaving the floor level door to the run open would be ok draft-wise. I clean their coop every day so there is only a night's worth of poop to give off moisture and ammonia. I also have a layer of sweet PDZ down, mixed with the 3 inches of wood shavings that are the bedding. The one time it got cold last week, I closed the door to the run and when I opened it up in the morning, it was pretty stinky in there. What do you think? Thanks for all your sage advice. You got me through a wicked hot summer, I'm hoping my girls won't suffer the winter because of me being such a newbie.

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

As long as no drafts are blowing on your girls I think it's a good idea to keep it open.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't have a door between my coop and run, it's always open. I like the air flow and the hens always have a choice to be in or out [​IMG]. Unless the door is right in the line of a wind area and blowing right on the roost, I'd say keep it open.

4. ctchopper

ctchopper Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    Acton, CA
    There is a solid wall that covers that end of the run so I'm hoping a draft coming in from the low door won't be a problem. Thanks much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by