1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will layers skip a few months if I don't provide lighting in coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lovemychicks, Nov 2, 2008.

1. lovemychicks

lovemychicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    CT
    Hi, everyone, I am very happy to find this site. I've learned a lot since the I came here. I am currently raising several layers, and they are 25 weeks now. No eggs at all. It's been quite cold and the daylight definitely is less than 14 hours a day. I wish I knew this much earlier, but I just found it out in this forum yesterday! Now my question is, if I don't give them a light in the winter, when will they start laying? Next spring? They will be 30+ weeks by then. What should I do now? Please advise. Thank you all! [​IMG]

Crystal

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I had young hens last year and they all started laying their first eggs in winter. Not to worry - you will get eggs, perhaps very slowly but they will come.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG]

4. lovemychicks

Nov 2, 2008
    CT
    Thank you, Wildsky. [​IMG]

How old were your chickens when they started laying? I heard that most chickens start laying at 20 - 24 weeks old, and my layers are 25 weeks old now and none of them laying eggs. I can't help asking why everyday recently. [​IMG]

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Mine were right around 22 weeks or so - it was Febuary this year when they started. It is very hard to wait - but they WILL lay eventually, I promise! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  6. lovemychicks

Nov 2, 2008
    CT
    I believe they won't disappoint me eventually, now I'm just too desperately waiting to see the very first egg. [​IMG] More patience, more patience, I keep telling myself, one day they'll surprise me. [​IMG]

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Right about when you GIVE up all HOPE - there will be a PERFECT little egg neatly in the middle of the nest box. You'll be grinning for a week at least! [​IMG]

8. lovemychicks

Nov 2, 2008
    CT
    When it comes, I will be grinning for more than a week and tell everybody I know till they get bored. LOL.

9. computer_chicken

computer_chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Eastern PA
    Yes this is a wonderful site for learning about chickens in every aspect. My 3 Buff Orpingtons and 1 Buff Rock are now 25 weeks old and not 1 egg so far. So your not alone, I'm waiting patiently also.[​IMG][​IMG]:

10. I have 5 sexlinks...and once they started, look out. Egg laying machines! Patience grasshopper...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by