Will leg bands affect the feathering on their legs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KenOmatic, Sep 13, 2012.

1. KenOmatic

KenOmatic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I just put spiral leg bands on a few of my Black Copper Marans and I would like to know if anyone knows if will have any affect on the leg feathering now or in the future. I don't want to have all the feathers rubbed off of one leg. I want to keep them separate but don't have enough pens for that. Any ideas?

2. KenOmatic

Apr 5, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    These are # 4 leg bands on week old chicks and I am mainly worried about future feathering.

3. KenOmatic

Apr 5, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Guess this was a stupid question. I'll try to find out somewhere else. [​IMG]

4. SimpleHarmony

SimpleHarmony Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2012
    Edwardsville, IL
    Hi Ken,
    I would like to know the answer to your stupid question as well. [​IMG] I have Marans chicks from one breeder and Marans eggs due to hatch any day now. I would like to tag them so I can put them all together now, then later place pullet A's with cockerel B's and pullet B's with cockerel A's. I made sure the breeders had good feathering on the legs and my chicks do at this point, so that is also a concern of mine. Did you have any luck finding the answer anywhere else?

5. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I think the feathering should be okay. When our birds are tested by the N.P.I.P. they put bands on our chickens' legs and we have Marans too. They don't seem to have any problems stemming from it. Just inspect them on a regular basis for awhile to make sure no problems do develop.

6. SimpleHarmony

SimpleHarmony Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2012
    Edwardsville, IL
    Thanks! Can you tell me which leg the NPIP bands and do you know if it matters which leg is banded for showing?

7. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I don't know if it's standard or coincidence, but ours have the NPIP bands on their right legs. We also have bought chickens before that were banded for identification purposes and theirs also was on the right leg...but not sure if that's standard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by