Will loud noise disturb baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dmoffett, Jan 22, 2012.

1. dmoffett

dmoffett Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    I just ordered my first chicks to be delivered the first week of Feb.
    I will put them in the basement of my house till they are ready for the outside.
    I have a wood workshop in the basement and use power saws, drills, and sanders.
    Will the noise hurt the chicks?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I guess they could get used to it....?

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Your title asked would it disturb the chicks. Loud noise will disturb most any animal I know of. It will put some to flight to the point of death. I would think if it didn't kill um it make them very skittish.

Then you ask would loud noise hurt the chicks. That's probably debatable. When they are very young it's possible they could be forced to go to one corner and smother. Me personally would not like the arrangement. I just wouldn't take the chance.

But that's just me. A lot of folks on here have lost many chickens doing things I never would do. So you know in the end it up to you.

4. snooptwomey

snooptwomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    I would kinda be worried about all the dust since its a wood working shop.

5. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    The noise would most likely scare them and make them pile up in a corner. The chick on the bottom of the pile could get smothered.

6. brendapa

brendapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Chester County, PA
    I think chicks will get startled and jump at any new noise. Get them used to it gradually.... The 1st time i ran the vacuum in the living room they freaked but now they are fine. Turn some things on and off away from them and then move the noise closer.
    Give them treats when your making noise in there.
    Last summer, the 1st time they heard the lawnmower was a freakout but by the end of the summer they were not phased by the noise.
    They adjust. As far as dust, I'm worried about the amount of chick dust I'm breathing from them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by