Will male Cornish X Rocks fight? And will they crow before 8 weeks?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Codeno1, May 22, 2011.

1. Codeno1

Codeno1 New Egg

Jan 13, 2011
    Hello all. I am on my 2nd batch of X Rocks (females). I am considering getting males this next time around to get a larger finished product. My 2 concerns are as follows... Will they fight? Will they crow? Clearly I do not want them fighting or to house each bird individually. That is my primary concern. But at the same time I don't want 25+ crowing roos in my back yard either. I am also considering straight run if this is a preferred method. Any advise is appreciated.

Eric

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We haven't ever had one fight (other than the posturing that all young chickens do), or crow before processing time.

3. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    Mine are 5 weeks and a couple are crowing. By crowing I mean that creaking door practice crow. They reach sexual maturity quickly I guess. This is my third batch. They dont fight. They have two driving purposes in their little lives- eating and sleeping. Anything that takes away energy from that, they dont seem inclined to do. (I would argue that pooping is their other reason for being but they probably wouldn't count that.)

The crowing isnt loud by the way and they don't really do it much.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    no & no

5. Codeno1

Codeno1 New Egg

Jan 13, 2011
    Thank you both for the quick reply and advise. I will go with males this next time around. I do have 1 more question for you. Heat. I live in Fl and my rocks are panting like crazy today (93 deg) and I'm a bit worried since I know they can be somewhat delicate. I have a fan blowing through the coop on low but they are either afraid of it or are unaware of it's benefit. Thayer are all huddled outside in shaded areas. Is this a big concern?

6. Codeno1

Codeno1 New Egg

Jan 13, 2011
    Not leaving you out Katy. You posted while I was typing! Lol. Thank you too!

7. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    I've never seen them crow or fight before 8 weeks. They just eat and poop.

8. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Mine do the play fight puff up and charge thing with my other chicks, but they don't fight fight, where one gets hurt. [​IMG] Mine are about 7 or 8 weeks old now (and HUGE! It's about time to eat them!) and my cornishx cockerel hasn't crowed yet. We have them free ranging with our grown layer flock, including a mature rooster, so that might have something to do with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by