Will male ducks try to mate with a muscovy/duck hybrid?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by muhelos, Aug 8, 2013.

1. muhelos

muhelos Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2013
    I know the hybrid will be infertile and so breeding wouldn't work, but i'm wondering whether the male ducks i have will try to breed with the female hybrids I have anyway. The reason I ask is because it would mean my other ducks don't get over mated. I have a few ducks growing up but at the moment my drakes have only shown interest in one of the girls and it's getting quite stressful on her.

2. duck4u

duck4u Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    What species is the male duck?

3. muhelos

Jul 3, 2013
    A khaki campbell and a white campbell, but i will have a male rouen soon.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They will mate with hybrids, and the one duck that is being over mated now needs to be separated from your drakes before they harm her physically and emotionally. If your ducks aren't breeding age don't put them with drakes that are. Most of the time they won't mess with a duck that isn't ready but some will and it's detrimental to her health and well being.

5. muhelos

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks for your advice, we've changed things around and sold some of the males as we had too many anyway, much quieter now and she's not getting bothered anymore. I do have another question related to duck mating though.

We have a pair of bantam ducks (male and female), we weren't aware they were when we bought them but they're almost fully feathered now and very small. They have learnt to stay away from anyone bigger than them and there's plenty of room for them to run away/keep a distance. Is there any chance that some of the bigger ducks could try to mate with this smaller female (when she's older)? I imagine she could very easily get injured if they tried.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Anything with feathers is fair game. so this is something you may have to deal with down the line. if there is someway to give them a place to run to maybe a fenced in area only they can get into being bantam so if a large drake goes after them they can make a get away. also water a large drake could easily drown a bantam duck. I don't think large breed drake and bantam ducks work too well. and even your bantam drake could be harmed.

7. muhelos

Jul 3, 2013
    I will keep an eye on the situation and keep checking the little ones are fine. Fortunately we have a good female/male ratio now we have removed some males so I don't think she would get chased endlessly. In general the little guys will be quite far away from everyone else, and a few of the coops/houses we have are raised off the ground at a height that would hinder the big drakes a lot but they could just zip right under.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like you have it covered. so just relax and enjoy the flock they are so much fun!! and lots of pics when you get a chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by