Will male 'scovy ducklings grow faster ** Updated with Pic

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ohiofarmgirl, Jun 17, 2009.

1. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Songster

Jan 22, 2009
    we went out to let our horde of ducklings out this morning... and we were shocked to see that overnite:

1. they feathered! wowza - tons of white came out over nite
    2. some of them are REALLY big comparatively

they are a little over a month old - at this age will the males be outpacing the females? is this how i can tell the males from females without vent sexing them (which i dont know how, nor will i try!).

thanks!
    -------------------------------------
    here's the insane duck posse and their momma... she's quite a gal!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  2. DuckFanatic

DuckFanatic Songster

Jun 15, 2009
    AZ
    Yes, they do change dramatically overnight it seems [​IMG] and yeah froom what I have heard the scovy males are generally much bigger than the females [​IMG] good luck with your flock [​IMG]

3. No, the males will not really grow faster...but you'll notice their bodies will be longer & overall larger than the females. They will also have larger feet & thicker legs.

4. MDC

MDC Songster

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    They do begin to outgrow them about 4-6 weeks in. The differences are subtle at first but with time they'll be more pronounced.

5. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Songster

Jan 22, 2009
    thanks! we were WOW'd when we saw them... then noticed some were really big!

i know that at 4 months or so the diff will be more notable but didnt know if we'd see it this early

they are so cute! but golly.... 22 ducklings!?!?!! thats an armada!

6. taraann81

taraann81 Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I have noticed a difference alot quicker than 4 mths! Mine will be 4 weeks old on Saturday and this is a pic of the difference between my hens and drakes. Also like you I was surprised it seemed like they grew drastically overnight!
    [​IMG]

EDT correct grammar

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  7. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Songster

Jan 22, 2009
    see! see! thats exactly what happened! whew! ok i'm not loosing my mind

:)

8. Quote:WOW. I have NEVER seen such a dramatic difference in two ducklings as that picture...did they hatch the same time?

9. taraann81

taraann81 Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Quote:WOW. I have NEVER seen such a dramatic difference in two ducklings as that picture...did they hatch the same time?

I'm not sure if they hatched the same day, but they are both from my hens and I put them in the incubator the same day but form that hatch some hatched in the evening and some not until the next morning. The pic does exaggerate the difference a little because the hen is laying down and the drake is standing but it is a drastic difference. And it isn't just these two, the whole clutch is that different. My drake is huge though, I weighed him the other day and he is almost 18lbs. I don't know if that makes a difference.

I was shocked too, in the past I have always had to wait much longer to sex them by their size difference. I think it has something to do with the parents. This is my first babies from them. I expect more in a few weeks and I will definately be watching for huge size differentials.

10. jmc

jmc Songster

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    What muscovy said.

Yes, the drakelets become noticeably larger (though apparently not in all cases?) even by three weeks.....................

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: