Will male silkies roost first?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by waycaster, Feb 22, 2012.

1. waycaster

waycaster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Penfield, IL
    So I have 1 partridge (well I thinks its partridge) silkie and it is the one with the large puffy ball on its head and is must larger then the other two silkies. I have noticed.... him.... trying to get up to higher places, and tonight he was roosting (its about 12" at most high) but the other two were on the ground.

Their heads have more sleekd back puffs rather then big puffy poofs (different silkie breeder) and are smaller.

Any thoughts or ideas on roo or not? I will try and take photos, but cant promise it.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't do silkies, but from what I've heard, they don't usually roost well.

3. Ethridgechixs

Ethridgechixs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    My only Silkie is a rooster and he doesn't usually roost very high if at all. also you can tell he is a rooster cause his eyes show and feathers fall back fron his head. the pullets i have seen have a huge puff on top of their heads and you can't usually see their eyes.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have not seen sexual dimorphism in roosting behavior unless it involves female tending chicks, so no.

5. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Most likely a roo. Mine don't roost high...jump up to a hay bale, then up to a shelf. The males seem to jump up first.

I can sex silkies early most times, hard to tell SQ until 3-6 months, but your quote "Their heads have more sleekd back puffs rather then big puffy poofs" could be a sign they're males.

How old are they?

6. heathergreen

heathergreen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2012
    Labelle, Florida
    We only have one male silkie and he usually goes into one of the nesting boxes at night, not the roost...even though it's low enough to the ground where he could easily get on the roost. We have two other roosters we are trying to re-home but for now they all get along, it's the RIR rooster and mixed breed rooster that get up on the roosts first at night and then maybe a hen will follow.

7. Jake1297

Jake1297 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Western Maine
    I have 6 Silkies with one being a rooster. I have only one that roosts,female. She'll roost with the chickens 4 feet off the floor. All the other Silkies huddle on the floor. Also, this one that roosts is also more daring, she'll wander off and explore more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by