1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will mama chicken take the new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bantymama, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    My hen hatched out a chick a week ago and left the eggs. I put the eggs in the hatcher. 1 hatched last wed and i put the chick under her and she took it. The other 2 hatched one last night and one this morning, i was wondering if i put them under tonight when it gets dark will she take them.

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I stuck a few more under my momma hen two days after the first ones. She did okay. but she in an exceptional momma who I have done this with before so I felt comfortable about it. But hens can not smell or count-from what I gather! So if they are close enough in size it may work....

3. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I added 3 chicks to my silkie after she had hatched 3 herself. It was like 3 days later. And she took them fine. As a matter of fact, she tried to take my other silkies babies when they were first introduced into the run with everyone. They can't count so they just take all the babies that another mama wont claim I guess. It may not work all the time, but I guess it is common. I would put them under her at night and then check on her in the a.m. to see if she is keeping them warm. Put her and the chicks in a brooder if you are concerned they will get cold.

Hope it works.

Marie

4. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    Well so far so good. We put them under her last night and all was well this morning. I check on them every half hour. She is showing them where the feed and water is so thats a good sign.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by