1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will mama give her chicks what they need???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wischickenlover, Jun 8, 2007.

1. wischickenlover

wischickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    OK, I have a new situation, and have some questions. We are in our 4th year of having chickens. We have had quite a few broodies, but they have never hatched any chicks. (We have 1 banty rooster among 72 hens, 7 banties, and the rest standard). We received a surprise a couple days ago when we found one of our banty hens had gone broody and was hiding in the machine shed and had 3 brand new chicks with her. Hooray!!!! We knew enough to move her to a safe, enclosed area with her chicks, away from the rest of the flock. We provided a shallow bowl of water as well as chick starter to mama and her babies. Yesterday, however, we lost a chick-not sure why. Mama, of course, is VERY protective and ornery if we try to help the chicks. (she is also sitting on 6 more of her own eggs). Hubby and I have gone back and forth trying to decide if we should separate the chicks from mama and care for them ourselves, supplying a brooder lamp, etc.. Or should we let mama take care of them-trusting she will provide all care, including helping them with water, food, and so on. She keeps them warm under her wings, so heat isnt an issue. (The weather here is in the 70's-80's). I'm just not sure why the chick died yesterday and dont want to lose any more. S do we let nature take it's course, or do we separate them? Thanks all for any info-you are all so full of knowledge!

Tiffany

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, if she wants to take care of them she will be fine. Just set out some chick starter and water where the mom and chicks can reach. Get a non medicated chick starter or get some "flock raiser" so that the hen doesnt get medication she doesn't need. Else, as long as they are in a safe run at night, they should be just fine. Good luck!

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    wischickenlover, go ahead and feed medicated chick starter for the chicks, it's ok if mom eats it. She will be fine and the chicks will be better off with it, making a really good situation for mom and the young.

coccidiosis, is a real concern that can be solved with the medicated feed, so why not?

Never feed the medicated if your chicks come from the hatchery already vaccinated for coccidiosis.

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by