1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will Mama Hen accept a two-day-old chick? She's already raising some seven-day olds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 149east, Feb 19, 2015.

1. 149east

149east Out Of The Brooder

Hi there, I've come across some mixed responses to this topic. We had a staggered set of hatchings - three chicks at first (one of which got killed - we don't know by whom as there were a few adults with access at that time); another chick three days later (that chick was also injured but I've since removed a second more skittish hen and the chick is doing now fine). Another two days later we found that the miracle last egg was still alive, so we hatched it out ourselves in the incubator. so here's the question: now that Mama Hen is finally settled and happy with the first THREE chicks, am I crazy to try to get her to accept this last one? The last one is now 2 days old, the first two chicks are 7 days old. Rather not find any more injured/ dead chicks!! But Mama Hen does such a great job... not sure what to do. Thanks for your advice!!

2. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    I'm afraid the ages are now too far off from one another. A day or two is one thing to try to graft on a chick, a week is a totally different story. The hen will most likely chase the new chick off since she will not recognize it as her own if she has been out and about with the other chicks already. You could try to see if she will be abnormal and take the chick but stand by to rescue it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by