Will mama hen clean chick butts?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by arlann, Apr 6, 2017.

1. arlann

arlann New Egg

Mar 24, 2017
    Hey y'all! Quick question. One of my silkies has 6 chicks that are about a week old. I checked on them this morning and two look like they have poop stuck to their tushies. I know that when I raised my chicks and acted as mama hen that I had to clean that nonsense. Question is, will my silky clean them up or do I need to do it myself?

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy arlann

In my experience the mumma hen does not clean them and you will have to do it.

While they may just have pooped and it got caught in their butt fluff, I would also ensure that they do not have pasty butt.

3. arlann

arlann New Egg

Mar 24, 2017
    Ok. Thank you! I didn't want to have to face the wrath of an angry mama hen if I didn't have to but I will for sure clean them up, just in case.

4. sassysarah123

sassysarah123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    I would take a paper towel or rag dip in warm water and wipe chicks bottom until poop disappears. I did this with my chicks worked great! Hope this helps you Good luck![​IMG]

5. arlann

arlann New Egg

Mar 24, 2017
    The deed is done. Chicks have clean and soon to be fluffy butts again. Hopefully that doesn't happen again. Their mama hen and another broody hen were not happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by