will marker pen damage growing embryos?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spish, Jul 4, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i asked my kids to mark all the eggs under the broodys so i could see if anyone else was adding to the piles. get home from work...they've marked the eggs with permanent green marker pens..hearts for the chickens eggs, circles and crosses for the duck eggs ........pretty as they look i didnt know whether to laugh or cry....

but now im thinking...well...arent eggs porous? wont the pen seep in the egg? what consequence will that have on the growing chicks??

so yeah...now im panicing.....could the chemicals in marker pens get through the membrane and damage the chicks?? i normally use pencil, but the stated i always whinge how the pencil rubs off so they took the initiative to mark the eggs with something more permanent [​IMG]

2. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    I mark mine with a black marker I dont know if it makes a difference ? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    i think you will be fine...

4. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    They'll probably be ok.

From now on use a pencil.

5. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    *breathes a sigh of relief*

thanks guys..... [​IMG]

6. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I always use Sharpie Markers with no problems. I even checked the inside of the shells after they hatched and you can't see the marker on the inside.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I've used Sharpies and soft leaded pencils. I have not noticed any difference in hatch rate. Egg shells are porous and the solvents are not good, but they evaporate so fast that they are not going to get through the egg shell and the membrane underneath to do any harm.

8. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    I used a sharpie before I *knew* better, I was worried too, but yesterday one of my sharpie marker eggs hatched and so far she seems fine and I looked in the egg as well and nothing. [​IMG]

9. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:how do you stop the pencil from being rubbed off?

10. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Use a "china marking pencil" (office supply or art supply store) -- doesn't rub off easily, but no solvents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by