Will Meat Chickens keep growing?

whisperinghopef

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 13, 2012
I am learning on my first batch of cornish x chickens. I get free spent grains from the brewery that I feed my animals. 4 weeks into the meat chickens I realized that they were underweight and found out that they do need to be fed chicken food to get the right amount of protein, etc. So I found a feed store that sells non gmo hand mixed chicken feed. The chickens love it. Question is they are scheduled to be USDA processed in a little over a week but because they got a slow start because of the spent grains even though they will be 11 weeks old they aren't big enough to process. Will the chickens keep growing if we hold off on processing another 3 weeks or so or because they got a slow start are they just stunted for life like some animals get and are never going to be as big as they should be? Once they are processed in a week there isn't going to be that much meat on their bones. They are healthy and being fed around the clock but they were just stunted the first month. Should I process and have chickens that aren't meaty that much or will they grow more? Thanks for the advice. Farming is sure a learning experience.

If you wait to butcher them, and continue to feed a quality feed, they will get heavier. I would also toss them some whole or cracked corn for treats...

bigz

Back
Top Bottom