will mice hurt my littles??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by prinellie, Mar 15, 2017.

1. prinellie

prinellie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    I have 15 chicks that I incubated and are now under the MHP in our shop (60 degrees). Will be hoping to get them out of there by the weekend when it gets a bit warmer and they will be 1 week old. In the coop I am taking them to I have been trapping mice. I am not sure how they are getting in as I have never had this problem before. But when I put the 'littles' in there I was wondering if the mice will hurt them? I have not had a mouse in the last few days so I am hoping I have them all. I am taking out the nesting boxes (I previously used this for my 'bigs' until we got the barn built), so I will check everywhere for holes in the floor etc. But, I am hoping that because it is open in the day (for some hurt 'bigs' which I will move) - that is how the mice are getting in. However, I just wanted to know if mice will hurt the chicks. Thanks!! [​IMG]

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Adult rats most certainly capable of hurting chicks, and even larger. Mice being small, I would think only interested in getting some feed. Have a box with small openings (big enough for mouse, but too small for chick) and a baited trap in the brooder area. The mice will seek out the bait first. They do have a good sense of smell.
    WISHING YOU BEST.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by