Will mixed flock result in sterile offspring?

SQContrary

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 31, 2010
Oklahoma County
I have a mixed flock of hens and one rooster -- my question is, if I hatch the eggs from the mixed chickens and raise them... do I have to worry that they might be sterile? I would like to raise my own chickens, but sure enjoy a mixed flock. Any advice in this area? Also, I am hoping to hatch via broody hen. Would Cochin be the way to go for that?
Thanks!!

I had a huge flock of mostly mixed breeds and we had no problem with hatching their eggs. We got a really interesting looking bunch of chicks too!

The only time they would be sterel I think is if they were super INbred or if you got a turkey crossed with a chicken or soemthing then those hybreds are sterle , chickens though all came from the same place so can breed just fine,

I've got 100's of pics of my flock LOL I had an Australorp-X-something hen, a not pure RIR roo, their son, a couple of Lohmann Brown hens (white) a Boschveld Indigenous hen and these were some of the results:

Most of my mix breed hens were fantastic layers, very good moms and bonus for me was they never molted!

I've heard cochins are one of the best mothers they are! I've seen some pretty cute crossbreeds, like and orpinton and an americana. As far as I know, they are like a 'normal' chicken!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom