Will mixed flock result in sterile offspring?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SQContrary, Dec 28, 2012.

1. SQContrary

SQContrary Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Oklahoma County
    I have a mixed flock of hens and one rooster -- my question is, if I hatch the eggs from the mixed chickens and raise them... do I have to worry that they might be sterile? I would like to raise my own chickens, but sure enjoy a mixed flock. Any advice in this area? Also, I am hoping to hatch via broody hen. Would Cochin be the way to go for that?
    Thanks!!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

No worries about sterility. They gladly and joyfully breed. Some breeds produce broody hens with more regularity.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I had a huge flock of mostly mixed breeds and we had no problem with hatching their eggs. We got a really interesting looking bunch of chicks too!

4. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    I have several breeds of hens in my flock along with a few different breeds of roosters too. No problems here.

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    The only time they would be sterel I think is if they were super INbred or if you got a turkey crossed with a chicken or soemthing then those hybreds are sterle , chickens though all came from the same place so can breed just fine,

6. WestVermont

WestVermont Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Bennington, Vermont
    Anyone have pics of mixed breed chickens they can share? Would be interesting to see out comes!

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've got 100's of pics of my flock LOL I had an Australorp-X-something hen, a not pure RIR roo, their son, a couple of Lohmann Brown hens (white) a Boschveld Indigenous hen and these were some of the results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of my mix breed hens were fantastic layers, very good moms and bonus for me was they never molted!

8. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a fair question, but all chooks from Jungle Fowl to Jersey giants, are the same species
    therefore they can readily breed with each other.

9. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I've heard cochins are one of the best mothers they are! I've seen some pretty cute crossbreeds, like and orpinton and an americana. As far as I know, they are like a 'normal' chicken!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Here's a lovely little Leghorn/RIR mix pullet:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by