Will mom let me mix incubated chicks with her natural chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Back40Oregon, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Back40Oregon

Back40Oregon New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
    I've got two broody hens. We let one keep her batch and kept taking the others away. She hatched 2 and left her nest. Then we let the other hen sit on the leftovers and she hatched out 2 more, but they met their fate before we could get to them. I am currently watching two more hatch under a light at the house. Question is, once they hatch can I put them with the mama that is taking care of the first two? Or do I have to be the mom for the long haul?
    Thanks!

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I have done that before, it usually is best to try during the first 3 days or less for a successfull bonding....but do stand by to be sure there were no problems!

3. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    That's cheating! Of course you can. It goes best if done the first few days of hatching. Slip the chicks under the hen at night - from behind, don't show them to her. Most hens with strong broody instincts will take them. I do the sleight of hand, distract the hen with one hand and slip the chick with the other...gloves on the distracting hand helps too. :)

4. Back40Oregon

Back40Oregon New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
    Thanks much! Seems I will have a little adventure tonight :)

5. Back40Oregon

Back40Oregon New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
    Thanks everyone! Mama took in 3 extras two nights ago and has had no problem. Last night I was taking the remaining 5 eggs out with the garbage and noticed a pip hole in the third one. This morning I have another baby! I guess I will be waiting another couple days to give up on the last 4 :)

6. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    Better brush up on those candling/float test techniques! :) good catch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by