Will Momma ducks Fight?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by allanimals21, May 20, 2010.

1. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    I've got 2 hens with ducklings hatching as we speak. One other hen who hatched out 5 last week. Will the momma ducks fight if I enclose them all in the same area? I'd say its about 10' X 10'. I just don't have anywhere else to put them right now. I don't wanna leave them where they are because my drakes get a lil bit rowdy when the hens come off the nests.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    They can at times...But it does depend on the individual ducks. They tend to do better togather when they are in a larger area and can keep out of each others way.
    Just keep an eye in them and see how they go- they might not not to be seperated.

3. allanimals21

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    I'm just hoping they hatch by tomorow morning. I have to work tomorow! [​IMG]

4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

10' X 10' and 3 broody hens w/ducklings = bickering and poking each others babies who might get too close to THEIR babies. Most likely the ones that are just hatching their ducklings out will want to keep them in their nest areas for a few days. They will work it out about who gets to go to the feeder & waterer and when but you will have fighting. I did have to break up one or two knock down drag out fights with my girls when THEY were fighting and babies were getting run over. [​IMG] Pecking order and broody hormones.... ahhhh, you just gotta love those Scovies. [​IMG]

5. allanimals21

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    I just don't want them out free ranging with the drakes being super hormonal horny. (can I say that?) The first hen that hatch got mauled the minute she left the nest with her babies. I suppose I could only put 2 in that area? They usually get along really well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by