Will momma protect new chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Beau coop, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    I have eggs under a broody that should hatch in 14 days. I have gotten conflicting advice on what to do when (if [​IMG]) they hatch.

Some say to keep Momma and chicks separate from flock so the other birds will not harm them.

Others say keep them together, Momma will protect them and they will integrate into the flock naturally.

The broody is in a separate area of the coop now, but it is just separated by an easily removable barrier.

What have you guys experienced?

2. Orpingtonman

Orpingtonman Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep mine apart from the flock for a good while. it least until they get a good bit of weight and size on em. The mother will protect them but she can't protect them from ALL of the flock. Keep mom and her chicks separated for a while. Its even better if they are separated but can see the rest of the flock while they are growing up. At least when they are introduced to the flock, thay can better defend themselves.

3. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    We keep ours seperated for at least 2 weeks-3 weeks. At least until the chicks can run around pretty good. Some hens are so protective the others just "know" to leave her alone or they will die. [​IMG]

4. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I have done it both ways with good and bad results. If your broody mom to be is at the top of the pecking order, her chicks should be ok with the flock. If the broody mom to be is at the bottom of the pecking order, her chicks are doomed. I am now safe rather than sorry and keep mom and new chicks separate until the chicks can run from danger. I do keep them in the pen that they will grow up in so they get to know all the others but they are kept safe from being eaten.

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    If they are cooped up,keep them separated..

If they are free range , let mom and babies run with the flock..

6. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Unfortunately they are cooped up right now. It is 9 degrees here. Come on spring!

Frizzled hen- 11 chihuahuas??? [​IMG]

7. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:LOL, yes, it comes with fostering for rescue. At one time I had 21 of the little darlings with me. I have found loving forever homes for 72 unwanted, unloved throw aways. It is very gratifying but at the same time very emotional.

8. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I lost some chicks last year that the flock tore apart when the hen couldn't defend them. Thinking about it, they are small like mice and move fast ...chickens love that.

The only chicks that have made it successfully in my flock being raised by mom have been the ones that mom left the flock to do her nesting and raising.

Although I did have a silkie that sat on eggs in the house last January and then she raised them for several weeks in the brooder along with several dozen other bator chicks. But that didn't help me in the end with incorporating them into the flock.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by