Will mum adopt new chickens that didnt hatch under her ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MiddySpeckles, Nov 18, 2010.

1. MiddySpeckles

MiddySpeckles New Egg

Nov 17, 2010
    I have 2 chicks that hatched under a hen and I have 2 chicks that hatched under a lamp inside.

Will the Hen outside with her own 2 chicks take care of the 2 chicks that hatched inside under the lamp???

I just put 1 of the chicks from inside under her and she seemed to be ok but I dont know if she will hurt the little one that
    hasnt been under her for the last couple of days. So I brought it back inside to the box under the lamp.

The oldest chick (of the 4) is 2 days old and the youngest chick (of the 4) is only 1 day old.

Will it be ok to take the 2 inside back to the hen tomorrow ????

2. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    sneak them under mom at night and she wont know the difference she should take them no problem once she is doing her job let her do it dont take chicks away it will really upset her.

3. trailgurl

trailgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2010
    the "e" planet
    Once, with a free range hen, we just put them on the ground and put chick feed around them. when mom and her babies came to eat, the others just mixed in and went on their merry way:) We've had multiple hens with chicks at a time, and before they grew up, lots weren't even with their original moms! but also putting them under the hen at night works:)

4. MiddySpeckles

MiddySpeckles New Egg

Nov 17, 2010
    Thank you so much. I feel so much better now. I will do it tonight. [​IMG]

5. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I had a trio of hens raising a pair of chicks. Had a single chick hatch out in the incubator so I tried to add it.......one hen wanted to kill it. The other two tolerated it like it was one of their own. I had to separate out the 3rd hen for a day or so......then she got over it. If it was just her, I would have had to raise the baby myself. The next single chick I had hatch had to grow up with the ducks as none of my broody moms would accept it. It was a couple weeks younger than their current chicks and they were NOT Interested.

6. MiddySpeckles

MiddySpeckles New Egg

Nov 17, 2010
    Thanks Nella Bean. I might still try it because we're moving house in a couple of weeks and it would be easier if the 2 babies inside were with a mum instead of under a light being moved around.

7. MiddySpeckles

MiddySpeckles New Egg

Nov 17, 2010
    Ha its all good. I put them on the ground with the other chicks and the mum tried to suss them out but I calmed her down and then she was quite happy to call them her own. Now she has 4 babies.
    Then, my bro in law called in today with 5 new fertilized eggs for my other mum that missed out so I just put them under her, so the countdown is on for 3 weeks time when we get some more babies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by