Will muscovies fly away with passing wild ducks???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mahsmaj, Nov 6, 2008.

1. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Will muscovies fly away with passing wild ducks??? Like when it gets colder... will they fly away with the wild ducks and geese that fly south for the winter???

2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    if you feed them and if they have a pen/enclosure that they sleep in at night i wouldnt think so

I have canadian geese and muscovies and when the wild geese and ducks fly over mine just stare at them . But mine all sleep in a closed in barn at night so they no were home is .

If they live wild and sleep on the pond they may . But some muscovies are very heavy and cant fly far . My females though fly over to the nieghbors 2 houses over every morning and stay there until dark becasue they feed them pasta !!! and bird seed .

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    they are not really migratory . mine are wing clipped , the boys cant take off and girls would only fly around the neighborhood.

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    mymom had 2 that she got a couple years ago. The stayed on her pond and slept in a dog house. THey would fly over to the neighbors pond ( only a couple hundred yards) and never went far. The following fall they just disappeared. She thinks they flew off.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Mine are young still - but the boys are too dang big to fly very high - I have 3 girls and 3 boys.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

What I have always understood is that grain fed ducks will not be able to get that far off the ground and meal time is important. The wild ducks may stop by mooch off you, but they will be cautious of you.
    BUT, I do know a lady up the road that had white ducks and mallards stopped by, had young ones and sadly there were hybrids that actually migrated with the hens!
    Feed the domestics more grain....lol

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    this isn't about flying, but just wanted to say... the other day I saw someone's muscovies that are the HUGEST monster muscovies I have ever seen. I bet they are three feet long from beak to the tip of their tail feathers. Their body is about two thirds as big as a snow shovel when you look down on them. They had all colors, blue, pied, black, penciled... you name it. The were un beleiveable!

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:there is a strain of meat producing muscovies in australia were the drakes weigh around 20 pounds!!

9. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I bet the girls are just BIG FEATHERED right. [​IMG]

Why ya always pickin on the boyz???

10. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

My muscovies free range 24/7, and yes they can and will fly.

But only around the yard, or to the creek [​IMG]

They have never left with the wild ducks or geese.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by