Will Muscovies Mate with Welsh Harlequins?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Baymule, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    We don't have ducks yet and it will probably be awhile, but doing all my homework ahead of time. We are enamoured with the Scovies, but want a good layer as well. Maybe we should consider the Runners-don't see a Scovie catching one of those! [​IMG] Thanks for your help. I lurk here, but rarely post because I am not a "duck person" yet. [​IMG]

2. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    It depends if the scovies have Hens/Drakes

3. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    I've found that my Muscovy will not mate with any of my Mallard-types. They don't hang out with them or anything, I get the impression that the Muscovy feel that all my other ducks are completely inferior to them [​IMG]

4. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    I know they can mate and have been told by others that theirs have done so, but I've never seen it happen successfully with my birds. There is offspring around as proof: they call them mulelards or mule ducks because the offspring between a mallard-derived breed and Muscovies are sterile.

I hear that if you do let them cross, the best combo is between Muscovy males and Peking females if you want an amazing meat bird that gets heavy fast, or a Khaki or Runner female if you want a hybrid that lays a lot of eggs. Something to do with hybrid vigor. Oddly, using a mallard-derived breed as a sire (the drake) and a Muscovy female leads less robust or poorly performing ducks I've heard but this is something I was told and have no experience with.

My Muscovy males tried to mate my Khaki female, but it just looked so ... uncomfortable for her that I separated them. She's my princess and I couldn't bear those hulking brutes going after her so I hunted down someone with a Khaki male her age. The Khaki drake has been going after my Muscovy females as well, but they aren't ready to breed so he's been rough with them in pulling out their neck feathers so for now it's just him and my baby all alone, but I hope someday to be able to try a cross.

5. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Mine when they were penned up didnt care about weather they were male or female or Muscovie or Welsh Harlequins or a pole for that matter. I have scovies and WH's so its the perfect situation for you! I have eggs in the incubator and and scovie hen on a nest so i dont know if the babies will me mules are just pure scovie?!?!

6. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Muscovy not being from the Mallard family can breed with ducks of the mallard family but the resulting duckling is refered to as a "Mulard duck" or "Mule duck". The "Mulard duck" will be sterile and unable to reproduce further. A Muscovy Drake over a Mallard Hen will produce offspring that grow fast like a Mallard and Large like a Muscovy. This combination is used often for production of Foie Gras. A Mallard drake over Muscovy hens is not an optimal combination for meat nor egg production

7. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Question. Sorry, OP, don't mean to hijack. It's a related question, I promise :)

If you have a welsh harlequin hen with a scovy drake, what will the incubation period of her eggs be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by