1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will Muscovies start to lay because they get bred

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zook, Dec 23, 2013.

1. zook

zook Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    My drake was trying to breed his 3 ducks this morning. He was atop one and it looked like she was willing moving her tail aside. She is a year old and was laying last Sept when I got her. My question is this. We are in a mild snap now 2nd day from severe cold ,snow, ice the whole bit. Had single digit F temps.

Today is the first I have seen him trying. He is just 5 months. Will these ducks begin laying now he has started up the breeding rituals and may actually have mated them or will they lay according to light, temps etc, I don't know if getting bred causes their bodies to produce eggs or its " that was a great 5 sec but I'm not ready to lay yet" [​IMG] I'd like to hear especially from you folks that get cold winters, should I prepare nesting areas for them now, last year they used them.

There will be lots of cold to come on the east coast of Canada. Maine would be a USA reference to where I am for my American friends.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'd prepare the nest sites just in case, but wouldn't realistically expect eggs for several months. The act of mating does not cause egg production, but may indicate that the hens are starting to 'think' about laying. Bunch of 'maybes' here, I know, but when dealing with living things there is an exception to every rule.

1 person likes this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have a 7 month old drake [Muscovy] and the other day he had one of his hatch mates down and I thought wow first time ever to see a drake born in same year actually mating here it's usually following year early spring on for both drake and duck, but I watched to see if it actually happened and nope just practice. lol so even though girls maybe ready I don't think the drakes are yet but we are getting a spring like temps and when there's a pool with water it does give them ideas. I even saw same drake chasing one of the 1.5 yr olds too but daddy put a stop to that escapade real fast. I always have deep bedding so any time my girls want to lay they have plenty of bedding to make their nests. A few will even use the chickens nest boxes. Ever seen a Scovy and a chicken in the same nest box, pretty funny.

4. zook

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Practice is good!! I was thinking more Feb-Mar, before he'd think about it but I will keep an eye on it for sure. Eggs would freeze now if laid anyways.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, always been my philosophy. [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Forgot to say usually once mating starts up with a frenzy I usually will start to see eggs within a month or less. this past Jan we had a warm spell and mating was going on first time ever and some of the girls started to lay but once cold weather came back and mating ceased so did eggs. This has been a very strange year for weather and laying.

8. zook

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    What do you consider a frenzy. I noticed I can peer in the window and see my turkeys and through vent ports in the door and glass panels part of the Muscovy pen from outside the barn. 2nd time now, a hour ago today when I was in just checking, within minutes the drake had chased down another of the ducks and pinned her down, standing on her holding her neck feathers and trying to position himself. Also does he see me as competition to his ducks so decides her better show his dominance and try breeding them when I am around. Its colder today and even colder Xmas day so curious if he keeps it up once temps drop. From my vantage point could not confirm anything actually happened. How long is the mating like minutes, seconds(like cats) or longer. Don't know what is normal without being a voyeur. I just want to gauge if his actions are daily as it seems yesterday and today, practice makes perfect and soon he'll get it right. Then God knows he'll be a non stop breeding machine. Thoughts

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Is this Turbo your talking about now or your adult drake, if they had mated they will actually fall over on their sides for a few minutes after only on dry ground though not in water. mating doesn't take long from the time he actually mounts her till it's over maybe 5 min. what I mean by frenzy is when you see them begin mating. I am seeing my drakes standing on their ducks also nibbling on their necks but I have seen actual mating yet. I think this is prelude just practice. They aren't inhibited so if the mood strikes him to grab a duck and mate he will even in front of us. Not sure if he sees you as competition since I don't know what's going on in their heads. Opie our hand raised drake use to like to show off in front of my dh bite on his hands and legs and shoes if I am around, if I'm not around they are best buds. I think Opie still thinks of me as one of his girls but doesn't carry it to extreme like he did when he first came into sexual maturity. I think you may see Turbo giving you more problems since he has been hand raised they seem to be more apt to think they can get away with more. If so you should notice this soon if he is 5 months old now, that's when mine started acting up.

10. zook

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    No not Turbo our elder drake thats 5 months old. so they are like rabbits I breed them as well here and the male falls over too. I checked some youtube videos tonight and saw one where it looked to fall over. I will definitely watch for that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by