will muscovies use a chicken house?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by spish, Jan 26, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i have 9 muscovies now (yay!) 2 drakes 4 females for sure..still debating the sex of the other 3 (they are 6 months)!
    the four 'for sure' females are between 1 and 2 years old...the drakes are 2 years so im guessing the ladies will begin laying again soon

last year they had a stable they could go in and out of to lay but this year they've been moved into a field a sleep under the stars (they have shelter but only use it if its windy)

any how ive been rying to find out sizes for a 'scovy nesting box/house, but cant find anything? so my man says why not use the old chicken house thats not in use (its not actually old, we bought it 4 months back and havent really used it yet, its just stood there empty!)

if i add a small sloped ladder and take out the roosts....do you think they'll use it??

2. Kyle E

Kyle E Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Liberty, Pennsylvania
    Yes they will, my drake never really used it but the female loves mine thats where she buillds her nests.

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Muscovies are the strange type of duck that will roost with the chickens! So not only can the hens make nests in the corners, they should all use the roosts.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by