will Muscovy's and Rouens interbreed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by taraann81, Apr 13, 2009.

1. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I have Muscovies and I am getting some Rouens, will they interbreed? If I have plenty of Muscovies and plenty of Rouens will they breed only with their own species? I know that they do interbreed but am wondering if this is sort of a last resort if they have none of their own species.
    Thanks

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    No, they'll interbreed. I have one Khaki Campbell drake and 2 Khaki ducks, and the drake mates with my female Mallard more often than with the Khakis.

3. Kats

Kats Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Quote:That's not the same as Muscovies breeding with other breeds. Khaki Campbells and Mallards are different breeds of the same species. Muscovies are a different species from the mallard breeds. I would be very surprised if they interbreed. They might mate, but the mating would, I imagine, produce infertile eggs.

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    The eggs might have only about 50% fertility but if enough eggs are hatched you might have some "mules" the result from the cross are usually sterile.

5. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    So in other words I need to keep them separate if I do not want mules?
    Thanks everyone.

6. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    I have three mule ducks, and they are very pretty and sweet.

7. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Oh I bet they are sweet, Plus what fun to see what they would grow up to look like. Its just I recently got a new incubator I would like to try to hatch some ducklings and it would be futile if I was trying to hatch eggs from infertile mules! I'm sure I'll end up with some anyways. [​IMG]

8. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:That's not the same as Muscovies breeding with other breeds. Khaki Campbells and Mallards are different breeds of the same species. Muscovies are a different species from the mallard breeds. I would be very surprised if they interbreed. They might mate, but the mating would, I imagine, produce infertile eggs.

then Squeaks, my muscovy drake must just want to HUG tal, my mallard hen O_O, he's developed a rather deadly interest in her, mating attempts I DO NOT allow , he probly wieghs a good 7-8 pounds, and VERY muscular as well, Tal wieghs maybe 2-3 pounds(how ever much mallards wiegh), mating on the ground like he tries to do, he'd kill her.

Muscovies mating with ANY other duck besides another muscovy will always produce mule babies.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  9. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    If the do mate, and they will, you could just eat the eggs, and the mules make good table birds as well.

10. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    The way I understand it, generally muscovies will not mate with other breeds *if* there are plenty of their own kind to go around. I know my other ducks and geese mate each other constantly, and they try to mate the muscovies (they're both males, but then the male ducks try and mate each other too, so I guess they aren't very discriminating).

The Muscovies have never shown the least interest in my duck hen, or my female geese though. You'll probably want to separate them to keep the Rouens from mating the muscovy females!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by