1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will my 16 week old pullets wait to lay until spring?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goldielocks, Sep 9, 2009.

1. goldielocks

goldielocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    I was wondering if my 16 week old pullets would go ahead and start laying this fall or wait till spring? Anyone know how that works?

2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Where are you located? I would think they'll start laying this fall... If they don't all start laying I'm sure you'll have an early starter or two.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  3. turtlynne

turtlynne Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    AIKEN
    [​IMG]:rolleyes:GUESS I AM SUFFERING FROM THE SAME ANGST - MY LADIES ARE 17-20 WKS OLD NOW, THEY HAVE BEEN SETTLED HERE(MID SOUTH CAROLINA- MILD CLIMATE) FOR ABOUT 3 WKS - CAN I EXPECT THE "EASTER EGG" HUNT JOY THIS FALL OR IS COLLECTIVE (IF ANY) EXPERIENCE THAT THEY WILL WAIT UNTIL SPRING? AM ENJOYING THEIR PRESENCE EITHER WAY...COULD THEY BE 'PUT OFF' BY MY NOSEY JACK RUSSELL? HE DOESN'T BARK MUCH ANYMORE; ACTUALLY MAKES A LITTLE CHUCKLING NOISE WHILE WATCHING THEM( HE IS BEHIND A CHAIN LINK FENCE AND CANNOT GET TO THEM) AND THEY DO NOT SEEM HESITANT TO BE IN THE SECTION OF THE RUN NEAR HIS VIEWING CORNER. (I LIKE TO THINK THEY THINK HE'S JUST ANOTHER CHICKEN)

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Mine are 22.5 weeks old now. Still waiting for them to lay!! Been doing the anxious "I hope there's eggs" thoughts for weeks now as I walk to the coop.

I don't think chickens wait til spring. I was thinking that it was turkeys that may wait til spring--however, I could quite possibly be wrong! [​IMG] But don't worry, there's more of us having the same chicken anxiety as you!! It's aggravating, but we love it!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The emotional roller coaster!!

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Mine that age have always started laying in late Fall and over the Winter without problems.

6. goldielocks

goldielocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    [​IMG] Good to know!
    Quote:

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Ditto. Quit worrying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by