Will my 4 week old chicks be ok with my day old ducks?

CalliBee

Songster
Mar 27, 2022
I have 12 four week old chicks with 2 four week Pekin’s that get along great since the start. But today I received 2 day old Ancona ducks!
I know grown chickens can be mean to new members of the flock but them being four weeks old, will they be ok with the 2 new ducks?
I understand I can’t put the new ones together with everyone just yet since they are so small, but when it comes time in a week or so, will the chickens be vicious or will they still be too young to care?
Thanks!

I have 12 four week old chicks with 2 four week Pekin’s that get along great since the start. But today I received 2 day old Ancona ducks!
I know grown chickens can be mean to new members of the flock but them being four weeks old, will they be ok with the 2 new ducks?
I understand I can’t put the new ones together with everyone just yet since they are so small, but when it comes time in a week or so, will the chickens be vicious or will they still be too young to care?
Thanks!
I have the same questions! My chicks are about a week old, and I thought ducks were helpful, not harmful!

I have the same questions! My chicks are about a week old, and I thought ducks were helpful, not harmful!

So my ducks were actually meaner than my chickens when introducing them! It could have been because the baby ducks brooder was inside the coop with the chickens, where as the older ducks nest in the run.
BUT I will say, once the ducks and duckling met, although they were mean at first, it only took a few days to get everyone to be friends. In the past when introducing new chickens to one another it would take WEEKS.

So my ducks were actually meaner than my chickens when introducing them! It could have been because the baby ducks brooder was inside the coop with the chickens, where as the older ducks nest in the run.
BUT I will say, once the ducks and duckling met, although they were mean at first, it only took a few days to get everyone to be friends. In the past when introducing new chickens to one another it would take WEEKS.
I've heard that you should introduce them at night! It's really weird, but if you introduce them at night, they just wake up in the morning and don't care. Maybe that may help next time!

Back
Top Bottom