Will my 5 1/2 week old guineas be ok....

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by tmb3fan, Oct 27, 2008.

1. tmb3fan

tmb3fan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    Central Mississippi
    at temps down to 34 or 32? They have been ok for the past 3 nights with temps down to the low 40's. I read that they should be at about 65 degrees right now and they can go outside at 7 weeks. They have hay and 3 sided shelter blocking the north wind and open to the south. Also, there are only 4 of them.

Thanks,
    Teri

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Any of you Guinea fans know what to do here?

3. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    Mine went outside with a heat lamp in the corner of their kennel at that age. We were into the 40s then, they are now about a week older and we have hit 32. But I do have 20 out there. [​IMG] I'd definitely suggest a heat lamp if you put them out.

4. tmb3fan

tmb3fan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    Central Mississippi
    Thanks for the reply. I brought them in the garage for the next few nights. I didn't have another heat lamp. The one I have is in the ducks pen and the ducks are much bigger than the keets.

Teri

5. bUg_Farm

bUg_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    On a mountain
    They're pretty young for that temperature. I'd try and keep them sheltered as you did. We keep our guinueas out all winter, without heat, and they do fine. Just give them some protection from the wind and cold.

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    They are just like chicken chicks, start them at 95 and subtract 5 degrees a week till fully feathered, once they are feathered out, they can stay out without any additional heat. But as posted above I would just provide them with a spot to get out of the weather.

7. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    I'm glad you brought them in for a few nights, I'd keep them in at night for a while longer. Mine are 10 weeks now and one wouldn't go inside one night and it dropped to 25f. She survived just fine though I sure worried till she came back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by